DermatologyDermatology involves the study, research, diagnosis, and management of any health conditions that may affect the skin, fat hair, nails, and membranes. A dermatologist is the health professional who specializes in this area of healthcare.
The skin is the largest organ of the body, which acts as a barrier to protect the internal organs from injury and bacteria. It is also a good indicator of the overall health of the body, making the field of dermatology important in the diagnosis and management of many health conditions.
- Acne: pimples on the skin due to inflammation of the sebaceous glands
- Dermatitis: red, swollen and sore skin caused by irritation or allergy
- Eczema: rough and inflamed skin that is itchy and may bleed
- Psoriasis: itchy, red, scaly patches on the skin
- Fungal infections: infection of the skin or nails caused by a fungus