Everyone loves white teeth, which is a fact. The problem occurs when you do not know which methods are the best for your case. Before settling down on a particular teeth whitening procedure, it is best first to conduct extensive research. Some formulas work for specific people alone – there is no one size fits all.
If you want to obtain a brilliant smile, you will have to start your journey with teeth bleaching in Dubai. Not only are these methods effective, they will drastically change your smile while also boosting your self-esteem.
How Teeth Whitening Works
There are two major ways of teeth bleaching; intrinsic and extrinsic whitening.
This refers to the whitening of the dentin – the inner parts of the tooth. The tooth soaks up hydrogen peroxide gel to become lighter. Free radicals are bound with the discolored pigments between the enamel cones. This process, which generally dehydrates the tooth, makes it lighter and is reflected in the outer part of the tooth.
At the end of it all, you will be left with a much whiter and brighter tooth.
Bleaching of the outer parts of the tooth is called extrinsic whitening. The enamel is the most affected part when there is irregular oral hygiene. The results of using foods and drinks such as coffee, red wine, etc. are usually removed. Removing these stains merely exposes the color of the dentin – if at all, it has not been discolored.
Intrinsic whitening is mostly applicable at the dentist’s while extrinsic whitening is mainly used with over the counter products. Which teeth whitening methods in Dubai are the best for you? Find out more as we uncover each of the most popular ways.
Professional (in-office) Teeth Whitening Methods
Performed by experienced dentists in Dubai, in-office teeth bleaching is one of the most common, and a very effective method. The process is done at a clinic by your dentist. Here are a few steps which are followed during this professional teeth whitening procedure;
- Your teeth are thoroughly cleaned, and the current shade of your teeth is determined
- Your teeth are then isolated from other sensitive parts of your mouth, such as gums. Dental dams, cheek retractors, liquid dams, gauze, face bibs, and rubber dams are some of the most common accessories used to achieve this
- The application of the whitener begins. The dentist ensures that the correct amount of whitener is used, and the process takes a little over an hour
- After the application process, some bleaching agents will have to be activated. Light energy is the most popular method used. It involves the use of LED, Plasma arc, or halogen. This light is also used to hasten the effectiveness of the bleaching agent, which can either be re-applied thereafter or not
- After some time, which is determined by your dentist, the teeth will be rinsed. Fluoride might be used to ease the sensitivity of your teeth. At the end of it all, you will have acquired bright teeth.
Pros of in-office teeth whitening
- Produces better results, within a short time
- It is one of the safest methods as long as highly-trained dentists perform it
- The discomfort brought about by bleaching is minimized
Cons of in-office bleaching
- More costly than other methods of teeth whitening
- Everyone cannot be a candidate. People with damaged teeth are advised against this procedure.
Over the Counter Teeth Whitening Products
Some products can be sold to you, and you can use them wherever you are, as long as you follow all the instructions to the latter. These products contain hydrogen peroxide, which is the same bleaching agent used by dentists – only with lower concentrations. Here are a few common OTC teeth whitening methods;
When you buy a whitening tray from the dentist, your teeth’s impression is taken, and a custom tray is made for you. These trays can be used at home or wherever you are, at given times of the day. A peroxide gel is usually squirted inside the tray, which you are to cover your teeth with. The trays can be put on at least one to three hours a day. Some people prefer to keep them on overnight, but this might result in sensitivity for certain people. It can take anywhere between 3 days to a few weeks for the results to be noticeable.
You can also purchase whitening trays over the counter. They work the same way as custom-made ones from your dentist. They are, however, generic and have lower concentrations of peroxide bleaching agent. Moreover, they might not exactly fit your teeth and might allow the peroxide to come out and get into contact with your gums. This results in irritations.
Pros of teeth whitening trays
- You can achieve professional teeth whitening at the comfort of your home
- They can make your teeth up to 10 shades lighter after only 7 – 12 applications
- Significantly cheaper compared to in-office treatment
Cons of teeth whitening trays
- They must be worn a few hours every day, for a few days, for results to be achieved
- The efficacy of a kit solely depends on the brand, ensure that you do your research on which one works best for you
- Deeply stained and discolored teeth might not experience the best results
Teeth whitening strips
Whitening strips are gradually picking up pace as some of the most preferred over the counter teeth whitening methods. They work by applying the strips, which contain a bleaching agent, along the teeth. They should be worn for some time; usually, about an hour a day for a week or two before results are seen.
The number of days required for one to put them on depends on the strength of the strips.
Pros of whitening strips
- Relatively inexpensive
- Easy to use
- Contain low amounts of bleaching agents, making them ideal for people with sensitive teeth
Cons of whitening strips
- The crevices between teeth might be missed as the strips only whiten what they touch
- Takes quite a while to see results
- They are mild as compared to other methods which have rapid results
These whitening rinses have a higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide, unlike the standard mouthwashes. They are pretty simple to use; rinse your mouth with them for at least one minute twice daily.
Pros of whitening mouthwash
- Takes a shorter time daily compared to other methods
- They are gentle on the enamel and help in strengthening it
- They also help in eliminating bad breath
Cons of whitening mouthwash
- They are not very effective as the solution only gets in contact with your teeth for a short time
- It can take more than a month to start seeing results
- Some brands might have a high alcohol content hence irritation
Teeth whitening toothpaste
These work just like any other type of toothpaste but with a higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide.
Pros of whitening toothpaste
- It is one of the cheapest teeth whitening methods
- Rather easier to use
- Works to eliminate bad breath while making your teeth stronger
Cons of whitening toothpaste
- This is an ongoing method of treatment and can take weeks or months for results to be seen
- It only removes surface stains
Natural Teeth Whitening Methods
Sometimes, the solution to whiter and brighter teeth does not require extensive chemical usage. You can use your everyday products, change of lifestyle, and the use of readily available natural products.
Here are a few natural remedies to teeth whitening in dubai.
Making dietary changes
Acidic foods can discolor your teeth by eroding the enamel. For someone concerned about the color of their teeth, you will avoid excessive consumption of acidic foods. Even though most of them are unavoidable, ensure that you thoroughly clean your teeth after taking such foods.
Brushing teeth with baking soda
Baking soda is prevalent in many toothpaste brands for a reason. It has natural whitening capabilities. It is a mild abrasive which can scrub off the surface stains on teeth. Additionally, it creates an alkaline environment in your mouth, which inhibits the growth of bacteria.
Popular with Ayurvedic medicine, oil pulling is another natural, yet quite an effective method of naturally whitening teeth. You swish some oil in your mouth for close to 20 minutes to help ‘pull out’ bacteria. The most commonly used oils are extracted from sesame, coconut, and olives. Recent studies claim that coconut oil could help in preventing tooth decay, but the research on whether it could leave your teeth sparkling is inconclusive.
Good oral hygiene
Maintaining proper oral hygiene is vital to keeping your teeth whiter. Regular brushing ensures that stains which could otherwise discolor your teeth are eliminated. Moreover, flossing helps get rid of the stubborn, unreachable stains which would cause plaque, making your teeth dull.
Using hydrogen peroxide
This is the bleaching agent found in the majority of whitening products. Studies suggest that painting a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to an over-the-counter gel will whiten your teeth relatively better and faster. Dentists in Dubai style=”font-weight: 400;”> have, however, cautioned that swishing hydrogen peroxide in your mouth regularly might irritate your gums before it even whitens the teeth.
Teeth whitening has never been easier. Use our comprehensive guide on all the available methods you can use. To whiten teeth faster, achieve better results, and in an affordable setup, contact some of the best dentists in Dubai to help you achieve your dreams of whiter teeth.