There are many different methods that can be used to whiten teeth. Some require taking a visit to a qualified dentist, while others are quite simple and can be carried out at home. The use of whitening strips is one of the easiest and most efficient methods. According to Forbes, whitening strips are one of the most efficient ways teeth whitening can be achieved at home.
Using whitening strips can be tricky business. For this reason, we will give you a simple guide consisting of what you should know before you decide to use them. We’ll look at:
- What teeth whitening strips are
- How they work
- Advantages of using teeth whitening strips
- Risks associated with using whitening strips
- An overall verdict based on the available evidence
In addition, we will look at why you might require professional help and where to get the best teeth whitening in Dubai.
Table of Contents
Understandings What Teeth Whitening Strips Are
Teeth whitening strips consist of a flexible plastic strip with a coating of gel on one side. This gel consists of a bleaching agent like hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. These are the same chemicals you find in household bleach, although in higher concentrations. They have been proven to work just as well on teeth.
The strips are meant to be applied on the teeth with the gel side in direct contact with the teeth. The chemical acts on the enamel to whiten any dark and yellowed discolorations.
How They Work
Like all bleaches, the peroxide in the gel interacts with plaque on the teeth and changes its color from yellow or brown to white. The peroxide in the gel reacts with the plaque coating the teeth, and the end product is white in color. Even with no visible deposits on the teeth, the reaction can involve the enamel to give you that pure white result.
How To Use Teeth Whitening Strips
The strips usually come with gel pre-applied on an adhesive side. This side clings to the teeth and keeps contact between the teeth and the gel, allowing for whitening to occur. The best way to apply them is to use scissors to shape the strip according to the contours of your teeth, allowing for maximum coverage while avoiding contact with the gums.
Teeth whitening strips should be applied daily for a maximum of thirty minutes each day. For the first few days you should monitor closely for any negative reactions and discontinue immediately if irritation and sensitivity occurs. You should get results within about two weeks.
You can ask your dentist to show you to best use teeth whitening strips to reduce the risk of harming your teeth.
Advantages Of Using Whitening Strips
Several factors make whitening strips preferable over other methods:
- Effective over a relatively short period – Used correctly, teeth whitening strips start to show results in as little as 10 days. People always want quick results and may not want to wait weeks for whitening toothpaste to work. It is one of the most effective methods that do not necessitate a visit to the dentist.
- Low cost – Teeth whitening strips are quite cheap. They can be purchased in most clinics or pharmacies. They are usually purchased in packs and can be applied as often as desired. Some people prefer them over a professional procedure by a dentist because they are affordable.
- Versatile – The strips have no official regulations governing their use, and are available for use by anyone. They can be applied as required to match changing circumstances e.g. , they can be used on a given set of teeth and exclude others if uneven whitening is noticed.
Risks Associated With Using Teeth Whitening Strips
There are inherent risks associated with using teeth whitening strips, especially for children.
- Gum irritation – It is not always possible to keep the strips away from the gums especially as you seek to develop even whitening. When the peroxide gets into contact with teeth it can cause irritation which might, in turn, lead to other medical problems.
- Tooth Sensitivity – Prolonged use can lead to tooth sensitivity as the peroxide acts on the enamel and weakens it. This can lead to pain when chewing, or when eating hot or cold foods.
- Cavities – In extreme situations, the enamel might be so weakened in some areas that cavities start to develop.
Verdict: Are Teeth Whitening Strips Worth It?
Teeth whitening strips are an effective solution to achieving whiter teeth. When used properly, you get results in two weeks at the most. The results you achieve may be satisfactory for a time. For more permanent whitening you would necessarily need to apply them time and time again as your teeth lose that special pearly glow. As discussed, this is dangerous for your teeth because the longer you use them, the more the enamel weakens.
According to Medical News Today, use of peroxide in whitening adversely destroys the enamel and exposes the inner dentine to decay. This means that it would be imprudent to depend on whitening strips for on a long term basis. There are also other ‘natural’ methods you might consider, but these also could take a long time for any noticeable effects to happen.
For better Dubai teeth whitening, you can consider the use of modern technology like laser cleaning to achieve that hollywood white smile without any risk to your teeth.
Do Not Risk Your teeth; Contact Professional Dentists Today!
The use of whitening strips is risky and might cause more problems than it would solve. It is much advisable to contact a professional dentist for better teeth whitening services in Dubai. Do not risk your dental health by using methods that you are not experienced in. Rather, contact the best dentists in Dubai to advise and give you the professional services at pocket friendly rates.