Smooth, flawless skin is the benchmark of beauty. The appearance of a pimple or a rash on your skin is not only worrisome, but it can be a major source of discomfort.Skin acts as your first and best defense against external elements. Healthy skin helps your body maintain the balance of fluids, absorb shock, alert you of any painful danger, and regulate body temperature. Unfortunately, some people tend to care about their skin when they are struggling with skin condition. Building good skin care routines will keep your skin attractive and flawless.
Daily Measures that Will Keep Skin healthy
- Eat Healthy Diets
A healthy diet will not only give you energy, but it will also make you feel and look your best. What you eat has a direct impact on the health and ageing of your skin. Some of the best foods that will keep your skin attractive and healthy include:
- Fatty fish: Sources of omega-3 fatty acids like herring, mackerel and salmon are necessary for your skin. They keep your skin moisturized. They also fight autoimmune and inflammatory conditions that affect your skin. Fatty fish is a rich source of Vitamin E, which protects your skin against skin damage caused by inflammation and free radicals.
- Avocados: Avocados are rich in elements that can protect your skin from sun damage. As a rich source of Vitamin C and E, avocados keep your skin healthy.
- Sweet Potatoes: Beta-carotene, which is found in plenty in sweet potatoes, is a powerful antioxidant that can help prevent sunburn.
- Sunflower seeds
- Green tea
- Keep away from the sun
Exposure to sun rays for an extended period is a major cause of skin damage. The immediate effect of overexposure is damaged cells and blood vessels. Repeated sunburns will make your skin look discoloured, wrinkled and dry. Prolonged exposure for many years may also predispose your skin to skin cancer. The steps you can take to protect your skin from sun rays include:
- Avoid sun: The mid-day sun (11 am to 2pm) is the most harmful. You should work indoors or under a shade when working outdoors.
- Wear protective clothes: If you have to go out, you should wear clothes that protect your skin. You should ensure that your body is fully covered by wearing long-sleeved clothes, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Treat your skin gently
How you clean and shave can negatively affect your skin. Although daily cleaning is necessary for healthy, clear skin, overdoing it can encourage skin problems. Whatever cleansing routine you prefer, you should keep it gentle. You should also;
- Bath time: Taking a long hot water shower can remove essential oils from your skin. You should use warm water as opposed to hot water.
- Avoid harmful bathing products: Strong detergents and soaps can remove oil from your skin. Instead, you should look for natural or mild cleansers.
- Pat dry: You should gently pat or blot your skin after taking a bath. Gently patting leaves some moisture on your skin.
- Shave carefully: Protect your skin by applying shaving cream, gel and lotion before shaving. You should then shave in the direction your hair grows with a clean, sharp razor.
Your skin is a powerful protector of your health. Some of the products you apply or fail to use could be the reason why you are struggling with skin conditions. However, even without using expensive skin products, you can have glowing, healthy skin by adopting healthy eating habits and proper skin care routines. A visit to a dermatologist will help you know how you can naturally take good care of your skin as different skin types have unique care routines and needs.